CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine — Marijuana-laced cookies taken by a student to a Maine high school on a day when ethics and values were being discussed have sickened some classmates. Nine students were suspended, and police are investigating. Cape Elizabeth schools Superintendent Meredith Nadeau said it’s unclear if all the students who ate the cookies were aware they contained marijuana. Some of them felt ill and went to the nurse’s office. The Portland Press Herald reported Monday that the episode unfolded Friday during a daylong event featuring speakers addressing the school district’s guiding values of “Community, Academics, Passion and Ethics.” School policy calls for a student who distributes or sells drugs to be suspended for 10 days and face possible expulsion, an action requiring a hearing before the School Board. The names of the students aren’t being released.
— The Associated PressMORE IN Wire NewsMOKPO, South Korea — The captain of a sunken South Korean ferry was arrested Saturday on... Full StoryWASHINGTON — A surge of eleventh-hour enrollments has improved the outlook for President Barack... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.