Rash of car break-ins gets worseDecember 10,2012A weekend string of car break-ins in Mendon and Rutland Town has police warning residents to lock their cars and garages.
Police said someone entered unlocked vehicles on Townline Road in Mendon and Rutland Town sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning.
Then on Saturday night into Sunday, multiple cars and garages were entered and items of value were stolen on Cedar Lane in Mendon and on Park Lane and Post Road extension in Rutland Town.
According to police, an “unknown subject entered, rummaged through unlocked vehicles, and stole various items. During two of these thefts, unattached garages were entered and items were stolen.”
Rutland residents are strongly encouraged to lock their vehicles and keep valuable items out of plain sight, and are encouraged to report any suspicious vehicles and/or activity, police said.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.