A Danby man was jailed for lack of $100,000 bail Saturday afternoon after police converged on a residence on Old Otis Road where police said the man had a rifle, fought with a woman inside the home, then had a standoff with police.
The incident occurred Saturday at 4 p.m. when police say Josh Blair, 26, had placed a female victim in fear of being injured after he allegedly flipped her onto the couch and held her down with a mop handle.
The woman told police she thought Blair was going to shoot her.
A 911 caller previously told police Blair had a rifle.
Blair was eventually taken into custody by the Vermont State Police Tactical Services Unit and were assisted by the Rutland County Sheriff’s Office, Danby Volunteer Fire Department and Manchester Rescue Squad.
Blair was charged with first-degree domestic assault and second-degree unlawful restraint and sent to Rutland jail.
Blair is expected in court today.MORE IN Local & StateBRANDON — Last year, Brandon was the last town in the state to pass its municipal budget,... Full StoryRutland Town voters approved a $700,000 highway garage and other measures to spend a recently... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown