has plan for odor
MORETOWN — The owners of the town landfill say they have come up with a plan to control odors at the site so that it can stay open.
Advanced Disposal of Carlisle, Pa., has asked the state to approve an expansion plan.
But Vermont Public Radio reports that the application is on hold while the state decides whether the landfill can stay open.
Justin Johnson, deputy commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation, said the landfill has a long history of problems. He said the odor problems seem to getting worse.
Advanced Disposal said the company has a plan to fix the problem, including putting a temporary cap over more than five acres of the site and to refuse foul-smelling sludge.
Johnson said the DEC technical staff will review the proposal.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — As longtime chief of staff, Lola Pierotti Aiken had reason to manage the U.S. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.