When I was a little kid on Mohican Street in Glens Falls in the 1930s, there was a Depression going on, but I did not know that. My two sisters and I went to St. Mary’s Academy, where we wore uniforms. I was the youngest, and when I started school, my mother went to work in a glove factory. In reflection, we really had an awful lot of freedom.
My favorite memory of that time was going to a movie and buying a Hershey bar. The movie was 10 cents and the bar was 5 cents.
This year, instead of flowers Rob bought me a Hershey bar on Thanksgiving. It measures 17 by 9 inches and weighs five pounds. I laughed for at least five minutes, thinking of my little 5 cent bar. The wrapper reads “since 1894.”
Yesterday I cut the bar into three pieces. I wrapped two pieces and hid them. The remaining piece is here on the kitchen table.
No, you cannot have a piece.
MendonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.