NEWPORT — A Lake Champlain cruise boat is getting a new home on another Vermont lake.
The boat Northern Star was taken out of the water Monday in Burlington and moved by truck to Newport on Tuesday where it is waiting to move into its new home, Lake Memphremagog.
Owner and Capt. Chris Johansen formerly captained the Newport Princess, a small tour boat on Lake Memphremagog.
The Caledonian Record reported that Johansen worked for other tour lines on Lake Champlain before deciding to bring a large charter cruise boat to Newport.
The vessel was partially disassembled before being moved early Tuesday. Johansen got a special permit from the state to move the 88,000-pound main deck and hull.
The boat’s top decks were removed during shipping. It will be reassembled once it’s back in the water.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Scientists and public health officials are studying a Vermont whooping cough... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?