NEWPORT — A Lake Champlain cruise boat is getting a new home on another Vermont lake.
The boat Northern Star was taken out of the water Monday in Burlington and moved by truck to Newport on Tuesday where it is waiting to move into its new home, Lake Memphremagog.
Owner and Capt. Chris Johansen formerly captained the Newport Princess, a small tour boat on Lake Memphremagog.
The Caledonian Record reported that Johansen worked for other tour lines on Lake Champlain before deciding to bring a large charter cruise boat to Newport.
The vessel was partially disassembled before being moved early Tuesday. Johansen got a special permit from the state to move the 88,000-pound main deck and hull.
The boat’s top decks were removed during shipping. It will be reassembled once it’s back in the water.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — The son and daughter of a Vermont World War I veteran received a Purple Heart at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.