COLCHESTER — A summer camp on Lake Champlain that was heavily damaged by fire is expected to be up and running this summer.
Police say the teenagers had been lighting matches, fireworks and road flares in the area on Sunday.
Authorities say the dry conditions and wind caused the fire to spread quickly to multiple buildings at Camp Brown Ledge causing several hundred thousand dollars in damage.
The camp’s co-director told the Burlington Free Press that the camp will be open in June.
The two teens, aged 14 and 15, came forward with their parents and told police about what they had been doing.
Police said after consulting with the Chittenden County state’s attorney’s office, the incident is being referred to the Colchester Reparative Board for further action.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool