Merriom E. SpoffordDecember 03,2012
Merriom E. SpoffordMerriom E. Spofford
EAST DORSET — Merriom Elizabeth Spofford, 74, a resident of Brookside Drive in East Dorset, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at the Centers For Living and Rehabilitation in Bennington. Merriom was born in Rutland, Vermont, on September 24, 1938, the daughter of Frank and Alice Read, Jr. She received her education in Manchester schools, graduating from Burr & Burton Seminary, class of 1956. Merriom attended Putnam Memorial Hospital School of Nursing where she earned her certificate as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Merriom worked for Putnam Memorial for 10 years and upon moving to Dorset, she worked as an LPN for the Dorset Nursing Association and private duty, retiring as administrative assistant for the Dorset Nursing Association. Merriom loved flowers, her home and cherished times spent with her family, especially her grandchildren. In her earlier years, she enjoyed playing golf and spent time as secretary and treasurer of the East Dorset Cemetery Association. She enjoyed listening to music and dancing the jitterbug. She enjoyed sports, especially following her sons while playing for Burr & Burton.
Merriom is survived by her husband, James, whom she married in East Dorset, Vermont, on October 31, 1959; her sons, Raymond James Spofford and his wife Sandra of East Palatka, Florida, and Steven John Spofford and his wife Megan of Wells, Maine; her grandchildren, Jacob, Noel and Ainsley Spofford and Katie Biddle and Chuck Lashinsky; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
A celebration of the life of Merriom Elizabeth Spofford will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, at 12 noon at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours at the funeral home will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, from 11-12 noon, one hour prior to the service. If friends desire, memorial gifts in Merriom’s memory may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association or the Dorset Nursing Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255. To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.