The amended charter is the first revision of the charter in many decades and is the product of a revision process that began several years ago. Over the past 14 months, the Charter Revision Committee met 12 times in legally warned public meetings. The revision process included two public hearings for the public to ask questions and to request changes. After careful consideration, the trustees voted to include portions of changes requested by citizens at those hearings.
During just the past few weeks the amended charter has been inaccurately characterized by a few people opposing its passage. At an Oct. 30 joint board meeting, the opposition’s displeasure culminated in a spokesman for a recently formed group calling upon village trustees to cancel the scheduled vote. Prudently, the trustees did not stop the orderly democratic process already under way. Village officials need to represent the interests of all village citizens, and not just the most vocal meeting attendees. The vote remains on schedule.
The amended charter has been subject to careful legal review both during and following the revision process. In content and spirit, in the plainest possible language, the amended charter specifies how our village is governed. Also included are: general clarifications; alignment with current Vermont statutes; and enhancements to the protection of our village watershed. Importantly, the amended charter also continues to retain the positions of three elected auditors. No changes were made to either the length of terms of officials or to the form of village government. Other important areas are also addressed.
A summary of the amendments appears on the warning for the special meeting and also on the ballot. The full text of the “Bellows Falls Village Corporation Charter Amendments for Vote on December 4th” can be found posted, and with copies available at the Rockingham Library; at the Rockingham Town Hall; or online at www.rockbf.org. If you have questions, I’m at: 460-1163, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please vote on Tuesday, Dec. 4.
Bellows FallsMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.