Again, I must respond to the letters to the editor concerning the oxen at GMC. I am amazed at the virulent outpouring from Vermonters at PETA, VINE and others like myself that believe that the oxen should have been given amnesty and let live out their days at a sanctuary at no cost to GMC. I am sad that things have turned out the way they have. But I thank VINE and PETA for trying. They have good hearts and souls and really care about animal welfare.
I was watching the news last night and as I went from channel to channel, I paused at FOX News making fun of a movement to encourage folks at Thanksgiving not to eat Turkey, but substitute an alternative non-meat entree. They were making fun of this idea and denigrating those who issued this suggestion. Reading today’s paper’s letters and all quotes of those in support of GMC sounded familiar. Congratulations, you and your viewpoints are the FOX News of Vermont.
Bellows FallsMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.