Again, I must respond to the letters to the editor concerning the oxen at GMC. I am amazed at the virulent outpouring from Vermonters at PETA, VINE and others like myself that believe that the oxen should have been given amnesty and let live out their days at a sanctuary at no cost to GMC. I am sad that things have turned out the way they have. But I thank VINE and PETA for trying. They have good hearts and souls and really care about animal welfare.
I was watching the news last night and as I went from channel to channel, I paused at FOX News making fun of a movement to encourage folks at Thanksgiving not to eat Turkey, but substitute an alternative non-meat entree. They were making fun of this idea and denigrating those who issued this suggestion. Reading todayís paperís letters and all quotes of those in support of GMC sounded familiar. Congratulations, you and your viewpoints are the FOX News of Vermont.
Bellows FallsMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.