Church PA system reported stolenBy SANDI SWITZER
Correspondent | November 22,2012DANBY — Sound equipment missing from a Danby Four Corners church means Sunday sermons will be a little quieter.
The Vermont State Police are investigating the theft of a public address system from the Mountain View Baptist Church.
The equipment was taken sometime between Nov. 11 and Nov. 18, according to deacon David Aubrey.
“We used it the Sunday before last, so it was taken sometime after that,” he said.
Aubrey described it as a black Radio Shack 100-watt system purchased 10 years ago. Aubrey said his brother-in-law, Robert Green who is also a church deacon, discovered the equipment was missing.
“Nothing else was taken, there’s not much else in the church anybody would want,” Aubrey explained.
The deacon noted someone stole a DVD player a month ago, but church officials decided not to report the incident because it had little value.
But we use the PA system every Sunday morning, so it’s critical,” Aubrey said. “We have a smaller portable system we’ve been using.”
Mountain View Baptist Church has maintained an open door policy to make it convenient for parishioners to worship at any time of the day or night.
Aubrey further noted passersby often use the church facilities since there are no stores or gas stations in the Four Corners area. “We are considering whether we may have to lock the doors,” he said.
Aubrey noted the church had a small congregation with an estimated 40 to 50 people attending Sunday morning services.
Anyone with information should contact Vermont State Police at 773-9101.
Information can be submitted online at www.vtips.info.MORE IN Local & State
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown