Israel-Hamas cease-fire effort gains momentumBy RAVI NESSMAN and IBRAHIM BARZAK
The Associated Press | November 21,2012
AP Photo A residential building shows damage after being hit by a rocket fired by militants from the Gaza Strip, in the Israeli central city of Rishon Lezion, near Tel Aviv, on Tuesday.JERUSALEM — A diplomatic push to end Israel’s nearly weeklong offensive in the Gaza Strip gained momentum Tuesday, with Egypt’s president predicting that airstrikes would soon end, the U.S. secretary of state racing to the region and Israel’s prime minister saying his country would be a “willing partner” to a cease-fire with the Islamic militant group Hamas.
As international diplomats worked to cement a deal, senior Hamas officials said some sticking points remained even as relentless airstrikes and rocket attacks between the two sides continued. The Israeli death toll rose to five with the deaths Tuesday of an Israeli soldier and a civilian contractor. More than 130 Palestinians have been killed.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton held a late-night meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after rushing to the region from Cambodia, where she had accompanied President Barack Obama on a visit.
“The goal must be a durable outcome that promotes regional stability and advances the security and legitimate aspirations of Israelis and Palestinians alike,” she said at a news conference with Netanyahu.
Netanyahu said Israel would welcome a diplomatic solution to the crisis but threatened further military activity, saying he was ready to take “whatever action” is necessary.
Top Hamas officials in Cairo, where cease-fire talks were being held, said no deal had been reached as of late Tuesday.
“Most likely the deal will be struck tomorrow. Israel has not responded to some demands which delayed the deal,” said Hamas official Izzat Risheq.
Israeli officials said only that “intensive efforts” were under way to end the fighting. Israeli media quoted Defense Minister Ehud Barak as telling a closed meeting that Israel wanted a 24-hour test period of no rocket fire to see if Hamas could enforce a truce.
In what appeared to be a last-minute burst of heavy fire, Israeli tanks and gunboats shelled targets late Tuesday, and an airstrike killed two brothers riding on a motorcycle. The men weren’t identified.
Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, perhaps the most important interlocutor between Hamas, which rules the Palestinian territory, and the Israelis, said the negotiations between the two sides would yield “positive results” during the coming hours.
Israel demands an end to rocket fire from Gaza and a halt to weapons smuggling into Gaza through tunnels under the border with Egypt. It also wants international guarantees that Hamas will not rearm or use Egypt’s Sinai region, which abuts both Gaza and southern Israel, to attack Israelis.
Hamas wants Israel to halt all attacks on Gaza and lift tight restrictions on trade and movement in and out of the territory that have been in place since Hamas seized Gaza by force in 2007. Israel has rejected such demands in the past.
In Brussels, a senior official of the European Union’s foreign service said a cease-fire would include an end to Israeli airstrikes and targeted killings in Gaza, the opening of Gaza crossing points and an end to rocket attacks on Israel. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Violence raged on as the talks continued. An airstrike late Tuesday killed two journalists who work for the Hamas TV station, Al-Aqsa, according to a statement from the channel. The men were in a car hit by an airstrike, Gaza health official Ashraf al-Kidra said. Israel claims that many Hamas journalists are involved in militant activities. Earlier this week it targeted the station’s offices, saying it served as a Hamas communications post.
By Tuesday, 133 Palestinians, including at least 54 civilians, were killed since Israel began an air onslaught that has included nearly 1,500 strikes. Some 840 people have been wounded, including 225 children, Gaza health officials said.
Five Israelis, including an 18-year-old soldier and a civilian contractor who worked for the military struck by rocket fire Tuesday, have also been killed and dozens wounded since the fighting began last week. Those numbers possibly have been kept down by a rocket-defense system that Israel developed with U.S. funding. More than 1,000 rockets have been fired at Israel this week, the military said.
With the death toll rising, the international community stepped up efforts to bring a halt to the fighting that began last Wednesday with Israel’s assassination of the Hamas military chief.
“If a long-term solution can be put in place through diplomatic means, then Israel would be a willing partner to such a solution. But if stronger military action proves necessary to stop the constant barrage of rockets, Israel wouldn’t hesitate to do what is necessary to defend our people,” Netanyahu said during a joint news conference in Jerusalem with visiting U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon.
Ban condemned Palestinian rocket attacks but urged Israel to show “maximum restraint.”
“Further escalation benefits no one,” he said.MORE IN Wire News
ST. LOUIS — Beneath the surface of a St. Full Story
NEW YORK — A former president of the United Nations General Assembly turned the world... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed