BELVIDERE — Vermont State Police say six people due in court in January on charges stemming from fires that destroyed two warming huts in a Belvidere sugarbush.
On Oct. 27 fire fighters were called to a remote location within a 500-acre sugarbush owned by Joseph Russo where they found an 8-foot by 12-foot warming hut had been completely destroyed by fire before burning itself out. On Nov. 16, investigators determined that a second warming hut had been burned down at the same time, but it wasn’t discovered until the later date.
Both fires were determined to be arson. There were no injuries.
All six suspects are from Belvidere and are charged with second degree arson. They range in age from 24 to 42. One suspect is also charged with unlawful mischief.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.