Ex-prosecutor flees after failed appealNovember 20,2012PORTLAND, Maine — The U.S. Marshals Service is looking for Maine’s former top drug prosecutor who disappeared after a federal appeals court upheld his conviction on seven counts of child pornography.
The marshals service said James Cameron cut off his court-ordered electronic monitoring device and disappeared on Nov. 14. That was the same day that a federal appeals court in Boston upheld convictions on seven of sending, receiving and possessing child pornography, while vacating six other convictions.
Cameron was sentenced to 16 years in prison following his 2010 conviction on the pornography charges. He had been free on bail since last summer while his appeal was pending.
The marshal’s service said Cameron was last seen in Hallowell driving a 1999 Audi A6 with a license plate number of 233PL.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.