HARDWICK — A suspect in a 2001 killing in Florida is being held without bail after his arrest in Vermont.
The Vermont State Police said Philip Barr was arrested Wednesday without incident in Hardwick by troopers and U.S. Marshals.
Barr is being held in Vermont on a fugitive from justice charge. He’s facing a first-degree murder charge in Charlotte County, Fla., for the killing of 19-year-old Tara Sidarovich of Punta Gorda. She disappeared on Oct. 1, 2001 Her body was found the next July.
Barr is one of two people charged with murder in the case. On Oct. 26, 39-year-old David Ray McMannis was arrested in Cumberland, Md., also on a first-degree murder charge. A third suspect is facing perjury charges.
No date has been set for Barr’s next court appearance.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — The son and daughter of a Vermont World War I veteran received a Purple Heart at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.