Ida J. MattesonNovember 14,2012Ida J. Matteson
WEST RUPERT — Ida J. Matteson, 98, of West Rupert, passed away Sunday night, November 11, 2012, at the Bennington Health and Rehabilitation Center in Bennington. Born March 5, 1914, in West Pawlet, she is the daughter of the late William and Henrietta (Snow) LaBatt.
Ida was a member of the Rupert Methodist Church, the Mount Anthony Grange and the State Grange. Ida loved to bake cookies and pumpkin bars and give them away to her family and friends.
In addition to her parents, Ida was also predeceased by her husband, Claude Matteson, in 1988; a son, Donald Matteson; daughter, Patricia Greene; stepsons, Almond Matteson and Claude Matteson; grandsons, Rocky Matteson and Almond Matteson. She was also predeceased by two brothers, Ron Jackson and Ivan Jackson, and two sisters, Gladyse Benware and Maude Gilson.
Ida is survived by her children, William Matteson and his wife Vivian of West Rupert, Robert Matteson of Rupert, Ruth Cary of Hebron, N.Y., Geraldine Sherman and her husband Charles of West Rupert, and a stepdaughter, Mary Forrett and her husband Silvio of Dummerston; a son-in-law, Smokey Greene and his wife Midge of Queensbury, N.Y.; sister-in-law, Elsie Jackson of Salem, N.Y. Ida is also survived by 37 grandchildren and many great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday, November 18, 2012, in the Rupert Cemetery in Rupert, with Rev. Debbie Earthrowl officiating.
Those who wish to remember Ida in a special way may make memorial contributions in her memory to the Salem Rescue Squad, PO Box 360, Salem, NY 12865.
Ida’s family offers their sincere thanks to her granddaughter, Lynn, for visiting several times a week and helping to care for Ida during her stay at the nursing home.
To share a memory of Ida, please visit www.mcclellangariepy.com.
Funeral arrangements are with the McClellan-Gariepy Funeral Home Inc., 19 East Broadway, Salem, N.Y.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.