Woman found incompetent in Vt baby overdose deathNovember 11,2012BURLINGTON — A grandmother charged with giving a fatal drug overdose to her infant grandson has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial.
The Burlington Free Press says this week’s court decision means 55-year-old Pamela Raymond of Morristown, who was charged two years ago with second-degree murder, could be released for psychiatric treatment.
Raymond, a former nurse, has been in custody since October 2011, a year after the death of her 3-month-old grandson, Warren Bailey. The child was given a lethal dose of an antidepressant to keep him quiet so he would not bother Raymond’s husband in September 2010.
Vermont Superior Court Judge Dennis Pearson’s decision refers Raymond for further mental-health evaluation and additional court hearings.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.