Industrial wind is good
We need a diverse mix of energy sources in order to ensure a secure energy future. Iím glad that our governor has also recognized the need for these energy sources to be from renewable generation, and that the majority of Vermonters agree with this. Having said this, the NIMBY response we have seen is astonishing.
It isnít a question that we need to find new sources for energy, having removed Vermont Yankee from our portfolio. Thatís almost 40 percent of our total electricity usage that we need to make up for since 2009. We are going to need anything and everything that we can generate to keep electrical rates stable, and those should come from our own state, to be able to support our own economy, and keep our money in state.
Industrial-sized wind is one of the most efficient ways that we can power our state, and it needs to be a part of the solution. While solar is great, it would take 30,560 panels to generate the same amount of power that just one tower at Lowell produces. Talk about an eyesore. We need to support the development of all clean energy, especially wind, in order to take responsibility of our energy future.
East CharlestonMORE IN Perspective
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.