LAURELVILLE, Ohio — An Amish farmer in Ohio is accused of keeping dozens of dogs in gruesome settings, including injured animals living in feces a foot deep.
He counters that his dogs were taken because of cultural differences.
WCMH reports that authorities seized 52 dogs from Jonas Beachy’s property in Laurelville in October and he was charged Friday with animal cruelty.
Teresa Landon is executive director of the Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. She says authorities found “horrendous conditions” including matted, sometimes injured animals.
Beachy says he cares for his animals properly and has followed all laws. A neighbor who has known Beachy for 20 years said he believes the man is being treated unfairly.
Beachy’s initial court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 27.MORE IN Wire NewsWASHINGTON — However Congress resolves its impasse over government surveillance, this much is... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.