Man gets 18 years for killing wifeNovember 10,2012Man gets 18 years
for killing wife
ST. JOHNSBURY — A 51-year-old Vermont man is going to prison for 18 years for killing his wife in the parking lot of a St. Johnsbury mall after she threatened to leave him.
Benjamin Berwick, of Lyndon, pleaded guilty in July to second-degree murder in the December 2009 stabbing death of his estranged wife Anna outside the Green Mountain Mall.
WCAX-TV reported that at Friday’s sentencing hearing in St. Johnsbury, Anna Berwick’s relatives called Benjamin Berwick a “monster” and an “evil man.” They said they did not believe the sentence was harsh enough.
Benjamin Berwick was taken into custody shortly after his wife’s killing.
He was suffering from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.
— The Associated Press
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.