The holidays are fast approaching. Itís time to remember what we are most thankful for, and itís time to look forward to getting together with our family and friends. Itís also time to make your appointment to donate blood at the Gift of Life Marathon on Dec. 18.
Almost seven years have passed since total strangers took the time to donate blood just as I needed it. Because they took the time to donate, I was given a special gift, the gift of time. I think of these people each night when I hug my girls before tucking them into bed. I am grateful when I wake them in the morning and talk about their plans for the day. I quietly thank them while Iím sitting through a band concert, a soccer game, piano practice or a parent-teacher meeting. Mostly I thank them when, even at age 11, they still tell me they love me. The gift of time truly is the gift of life.
Please, take the time right now and call 1-800-RED-CROSS to make your appointment to donate blood at the Gift of Life Marathon. Weíve made it easier to take less time by opening another site with even more help to keep the pace going.
This year you can give someone the gift of life. Itís time.
Rutland TownMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.