BURLINGTON — Vermont’s federal prosecutor says a 30-year-old Island Pond man is going to spend 6˝ years in prison for his role in a scheme to produce methamphetamine in his hometown.
Frank Santaw appeared in federal court in Burlington on Monday where he was sentenced as part of a conspiracy to manufacture five or more grams of methamphetamine.
Court records said Santaw was one of 13 Northeast Kingdom residents indicted by a federal grand jury in Burlington for a number of methamphetamine-related crimes.
Prosecutors said Santaw began manufacturing methamphetamine in July 2011. He Initially learned the manufacturing process from another defendant and in September of last year he began making the drug on his own.
Most of the other defendants are awaiting sentencing.MORE IN Vermont NewsBURLINGTON — Vermont’s largest city has a new success to add to its list of socially conscious... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.