Mendon book wins awardNovember 06,2012MENDON — A book about Tropical Storm Irene written and compiled by Mendon residents won an award recently.
The Mendon Historical Society received an “Award of Merit” from the League of Local Historical Societies at its annual meeting held in Woodstock Nov.2.
The award, in the category of Publications/Oral History, commended the book “Irene Storms through Mendon: You CAN Get There from Here.”
Mark Hudson, executive director of the Vermont Historical Society, presented the award saying, “The town of Mendon was severely impacted by Tropical Storm Irene. The Mendon Historical Society recognized the need to record and document the experiences of its townspeople and how they dealt with the disaster in creative and heroic ways. Their personal accounts form the framework of the book.”
The 50-page book with 60 full color photographs is available for purchase at the Mendon Town Office and several stores and bookshops in the area.
For more information, call 773-8172.MORE IN This Just InA stepfather accused of killing his 2-year-old daughter was released from jail Friday night after... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.