Mendon book wins awardNovember 06,2012MENDON — A book about Tropical Storm Irene written and compiled by Mendon residents won an award recently.
The Mendon Historical Society received an “Award of Merit” from the League of Local Historical Societies at its annual meeting held in Woodstock Nov.2.
The award, in the category of Publications/Oral History, commended the book “Irene Storms through Mendon: You CAN Get There from Here.”
Mark Hudson, executive director of the Vermont Historical Society, presented the award saying, “The town of Mendon was severely impacted by Tropical Storm Irene. The Mendon Historical Society recognized the need to record and document the experiences of its townspeople and how they dealt with the disaster in creative and heroic ways. Their personal accounts form the framework of the book.”
The 50-page book with 60 full color photographs is available for purchase at the Mendon Town Office and several stores and bookshops in the area.
For more information, call 773-8172.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.