Troopers to offer assistance in NJNovember 05,2012Troopers to offer assistance in NJ
Vermont and Maine law enforcement officials are heading south to help with security efforts in storm-battered New Jersey.
Eleven Vermont State Police troopers are joining 11 troopers and four Cumberland County sheriff’s deputies from Maine to assist state and local law enforcement agencies in areas of New Jersey that were affected by Superstorm Sandy.
Vermont troopers scheduled to stay for seven days, with Maine’s troopers and deputies slated to stay for eight days.
Officials say this is the second time that Vermont troopers have deployed to another state to provide assistance. In 2005, Vermont State Police traveled to Louisiana and Mississippi following Hurricane Katrina.
Two of the Maine sheriff’s deputies also served in Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.MORE IN This Just InSki area operators in Vermont and across northern New England were giddy Wednesday at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.