Troopers to offer assistance in NJNovember 05,2012Troopers to offer assistance in NJ
Vermont and Maine law enforcement officials are heading south to help with security efforts in storm-battered New Jersey.
Eleven Vermont State Police troopers are joining 11 troopers and four Cumberland County sheriff’s deputies from Maine to assist state and local law enforcement agencies in areas of New Jersey that were affected by Superstorm Sandy.
Vermont troopers scheduled to stay for seven days, with Maine’s troopers and deputies slated to stay for eight days.
Officials say this is the second time that Vermont troopers have deployed to another state to provide assistance. In 2005, Vermont State Police traveled to Louisiana and Mississippi following Hurricane Katrina.
Two of the Maine sheriff’s deputies also served in Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.