I understand that a decision has been made by Green Mountain College to put Bill and Lou, the oxen “down” despite the outpouring in support of allowing them to live out their lives at the farm that agreed to take them. I don’t know if anyone will actually read this email but I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t at least plead with you one more time to reconsider.
The only argument I can make is that life is precious, no matter whose life it is. If we don’t have to kill then perhaps we shouldn’t. If you can’t find a way to let the oxen live out their lives then I hope you would at least escort them to the slaughterhouse and remain with them during their execution and see if you can still live with yourself after they are slaughtered.
It’s easy to sign for the order but unless you witness the act you are signing for then you’ll never know if you made a decision that wasn’t just in your best interest.
If you can’t agree to do that, please just scratch them lovingly between their eyes and tell them for me, “I’m sorry. I tried.”
KEVIN PATRICK HODGKISS
New Paltz, N.Y.MORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.