IRS: Tax preparers need IDs
BOSTON - The Internal Revenue Service is reminding the nationís 730,000 federal tax return preparers, including more than 1,400 in Vermont, that they are required to renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) for 2013. Also, preparers who have a competency test requirement should take the time to schedule an appointment for the exam.
Anyone who is a paid federal tax return preparer must register with the IRS and have a PTIN, as must all Enrolled Agents.
The online PTIN renewal process takes about 15 minutes. Renewed PTINs will be valid for calendar year 2013. The IRS also has significantly upgraded the PTIN system to make it easier to use and more intuitive.
Preparers who have forgotten their log-in information, password, or email address can use online tools to resolve these issues. Get started at www.irs.gov/ptin.
New continuing education and testing requirements also apply to approximately 340,000 preparers who previously had no such requirements.
For more information about requirements for federal tax professionals, visit www.irs.gov/for-Tax-Pros.MORE IN National / World BusinessWASHINGTON ó Business orders for long-lasting manufactured goods shot up by the largest amount on... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.