Woman sentenced in fatal crashNovember 04,2012NEWPORT — A Vermont woman accused of intentionally crashing her car into a tree to kill her husband has been sentenced to seven to 15 years in prison as part of a plea deal.
Forty-five-year-old Christine Billis of Brownington pleaded guilty to manslaughter in July. She was sentenced on Friday.
Billis was originally charged with first-degree murder for the Sept. 22, 2009, crash in Charleston that killed her husband, 57-year-old Charles Billis.
Christine Billis was wearing a seat belt and sustained minor injuries in the crash. At the time, police thought Billis may have had a medical problem that contributed to the crash.
A man Billis met online later gave police a recording of her confessing to crashing her car intentionally to kill her husband, whom she described as abusive.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.