Let me ask you a simple question. If Barack Obama were white and with an Anglo-Saxon sounding name, but had the same policies, do you think that old white men would still abhor him? I sit and listen sometimes to old white men talk about him with fear, with dread, with hate. They want something they once had but do not have anymore — a white plurality. I am ashamed of my fellow baby boomers who carry a racist chip on their shoulder but don’t realize it. It isn’t just about liberalism and fear of “the government takeover” (I hate that stupid term). It’s about a black guy doing this. You don’t believe me? Check this out which is a recent quote from Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham (on the future of the Republican Party) and I quote: “We are not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
The funny thing about this is, if Romney wins, the corporate heads and the heavy investors will start infusing money into our economy (they could be doing it now — but hate Obama), the stock market will rise and people will start feeling good again for a while anyway. That “while” won’t last forever because there will be more looming wars (see who Romney’s neo-con advisers are), more trickle down economic silliness, less regulation and thus another Republican-sponsored bust to the economy (a la George Bush). Then, out of desperation and a need for “change and hope” we will elect a Democrat to try to clean it all up for the next four to eight years. That Democrat will have a better chance if he or she is not black or unless by that time, those old white men are dead. I better watch out what I wish for.
VINCENT JAY MERLUZZI
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bill in Legislature proposes naming beagle Vermont state dog; Associated Press looks back at year in opiate abuse; Shapiro's in Brandon soon to close after 75 years; probe shows illegal online gun sales booming.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1861, JEFFERSON DAVIS resigns from the U.S. Senate to become president of the Confederate States of America, in 1908, NYC passes law forbidding women from smoking in public; in 1968, B-52 crashes, loses H-bomb.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Aldermen debate request for $75K from Zamias Fund for Wonderfeet museum, Bryanna Allen covers CSC Spring Convocation, proponents of sugary drinks tax meet press at State House, Neal Goswami reports revenue forecast for state.