DERBY — Federal prosecutors say two men from Montreal and another from the Dominican Republic are being held on charges that one of the men helped the other two cross into the country from Quebec in the Derby area without permission.
Prosecutors say 26-year-old Jonas Paul-Emile, of Montreal, entered the United States alone in New York on Sunday.
The next day Border Patrol agents saw Paul-Emile drive to an area close to the border and stop briefly before leaving the area and going south on Interstate 91, authorities say.
The car was stopped and agents found 41-year-old Emmanuel Badio Jr., also of Montreal, in the car along with 30-year-old Juan Rodriguez-Castro, of the Dominican Republic. The two did not have permission to be in the country.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.