Teen answers to assault chargeNovember 02,2012A Rutland teenager who allegedly hospitalized a man in a beating near the River Street Bridge said he was acting in self defense.
Thurston M. Smyrski, 17, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court this week to a felony charge of aggravated assault. He was released on conditions that included a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew at his Cramton Avenue home.
City police say Smyrski beat 22-year-old Spencer Carey unconscious during an argument near the Red Moon Bar off Post Street on Aug. 29. Carey, who a witness said was punched repeatedly after he lost consciousness, was treated for seizures at the scene and was taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire where he didnít regain consciousness for two days, according to a police affidavit.
If convicted, Smyrski faces up to 15 years in jail.MORE IN This Just InThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.