Teen answers to assault chargeNovember 02,2012A Rutland teenager who allegedly hospitalized a man in a beating near the River Street Bridge said he was acting in self defense.
Thurston M. Smyrski, 17, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court this week to a felony charge of aggravated assault. He was released on conditions that included a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew at his Cramton Avenue home.
City police say Smyrski beat 22-year-old Spencer Carey unconscious during an argument near the Red Moon Bar off Post Street on Aug. 29. Carey, who a witness said was punched repeatedly after he lost consciousness, was treated for seizures at the scene and was taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire where he didnít regain consciousness for two days, according to a police affidavit.
If convicted, Smyrski faces up to 15 years in jail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.