Rep. Botzow to receive awardNovember 01,2012POWNAL — State Rep. Bill Botzow, D-Pownal, has been chosen as Lawmaker of the Year by Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility, along with Sen. Anthony Pollina, who represents Washington County, for their work during the past legislative session.
Both lawmakers scored perfectly on VBSR’s 2011-12 Legislative Scorecard and worked on legislation that the statewide business organization’s members believed enhanced Vermont’s economy. The awards will be presented at VBSR’s annual fall conference at Mount Snow in West Dover on Nov. 14.
Russ Bennett, owner of Waitsfield’s Northland Design and Construction and chairman of VBSR’s public policy committee, said in a statement that it was important to recognize the work being doing to improve the “inextricably intertwined” business and social climates.
“Both lawmakers always have a seat at the table for VBSR. They truly understand what makes Vermont’s economy work and the conditions that lead to success for socially responsible businesses and for our citizens,” he said.
Botzow was chosen for his work as chairman of the House Commerce Committee in 2012, passing key legislation to support Vermont’s local food movement and updating the state’s “Benefit Corporation” law.
During his freshman term in the state Senate, Pollina was an important ally on health care reform, establishing a “Genuine Progress Indicator” and attempting to overturn the Citizens United court decision, according to the VBSR.
To register for the VBSR fall conference, visit the website at www.vbsr.org.MORE IN This Just InA stepfather accused of killing his 2-year-old daughter was released from jail Friday night after... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.