I wish to voice my strong support of Charles (Tim) Goodwin, who has been endorsed by retiring Rep. Oliver Olsen to take over his House seat, representing the towns of Jamaica, Londonderry, Stratton, Weston and Winhall.
Tim is running as an independent and enjoys the support of a broad coalition of bipartisan legislators, including Sen. John Campbell, Democrat (president pro tem).
With his 30-year background as a financial specialist, past school board service, and his current work as a Weston lister, Tim has the targeted skills and experience to tackle the critical issues in Montpelier facing our towns — most notably education funding/property tax reform. Under the unfair and oppressive Act 60/68, 70 percent of our towns’ education tax collected is sent to the state Education Fund in Montpelier. Projections for next year call for the largest increase in the statewide property tax rate since the passage of Act 68. Tim will be our skilled advocate in continuing the search for an equitable school financing alternative.
Tim has served Weston and the district tirelessly over the years in many volunteer capacities — closest in my experience were his actions last fall following Irene’s devastating visit to Weston in helping secure FEMA assistance in restoring the lower floor of the Weston Playhouse, as well as his many hours of tractor time spent hauling flood debris to the Dumpsters.
I am proud to support Tim, and look forward to voting for him on Nov. 6.
WestonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown