BURLINGTON — A 19-year-old Vermont man hurt in an explosion behind his parents’ Hinesburg home is facing federal charges he tried to produce methamphetamine.
The U.S. attorney’s office in Burlington says Jacob Berino was arrested Tuesday after he was released from the hospital. He made his initial court appearance Wednesday.
A federal magistrate ordered Berino detained pending admission to a residential treatment facility.
Court records say that on Oct. 23 emergency responders were called to the home of Berino’s father, where they found Berino spraying water on his face, which appeared to have been burned.
Police say they saw items they considered consistent with the illegal production of methamphetamine.
If convicted, Berino could be sentenced to 20 years in prison.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — A bill that would consolidate school districts in the state is generating questions... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.