Area firefighters respond to structure fireOctober 31,2012BENSON — Firefighters from five towns responded to a reported structure fire Tuesday morning on Stony Point Road in Benson.
Fair Haven firefighters who covered the Benson fire station said the call came in around 8:30 a.m.
According to Poultney assistant fire chief William Jones, the fire was contained to a wall of a house located at 791 Stony Point Rd. He said around 10 a.m. Tuesday they believed it was an electrical fire, but the cause of the fire had not been determined.
No more information regarding the fire was available by press time early evening on Tuesday. Fire departments from the towns of Fair Haven, Poultney, West Haven, Orwell and Benson responded to the scene.
Firefighters were also called out to a minor fire on Lake Road in Castleton later in the day, around 5:30 p.m., but according to scanner reports that fire was contained within half an hour.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.