Parade WinnersOctober 31,2012The Rutland City Recreation Department has announced the following award winners from this year’s Halloween Parade:
Superintendent’s Trophy, Most Original: Fabian’s Earth Moving
Mayor’s Trophy, Best in Parade: Proctor Jr./Sr. High School
Department Trophy, Most Creative: Benson Fire Department
Best Costumed Marching Band: Proctor Jr./Sr. High School
Best Costumed Marching Unit: Plaza Skatepark
Tom Fagan Award: All Season DJ Service
Runner-Up Superintendent’s Trophy, Most Original: Pyramid Holistic Wellness Center
Runner-Up Mayors Trophy, Best in Parade: Rutland City Fire Department
Runner-Up Department Trophy, Most Creative: Community College of Vermont
Runner-Up Best Costumed Marching Band: Rutland Town School
Runner-Up Best Costumed Marching Unit: Wunderland Pet Lodge
Honorable Mention: Long Trail School
Jack O’ Lantern: Saskia Hagen Groom
Pumpkin Queen: Leslie Hixon, Mill River Union High School
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.