Turkeys cause Interstate crashOctober 29,2012Turkeys cause Interstate crash
WESTMINSTER — A flock of wild turkeys crossing caused a two-car crash on Interstate 91 on Saturday.
Diane McIntyre, 48, of Windham, Conn. was traveling north when a large flock wild turkeys went across the highway. McIntyre slowed down to avoid the birds but the driver behind her got distracted, police said.
Elizabeth Libbey, 65, of Charlemont, Mass., struck the rear end of McIntyre’s vehicle when she noticed a turkey in front of her car flying at eye level. As Libbey tried to avoid it, she struck McIntyre, police said.
Police said Libbey’s car ran off the road while McIntyre’s car spun into the breakdown lane. The Westminster Fire Department extricate McIntyre from her car because the door was jammed shut.
McIntyre and Libbey’s passenger William MacLeisch, 84 of Charlemont, were transported to the Springfield Hospital by Golden Cross Ambulance. Both sustained minor injuries.MORE IN This Just InSaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full StoryA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.