Features |Bill and Lou a bigger issueOctober 28,2012Though I appreciate differing emotions regarding Bill and Lou, the oxen at Green Mountain College, I feel frustrated that so much publicity and angst has arisen over these animals that have led productive and well-cared-for lives.
There seems a disconnect when I drive by farms with calves imprisoned in tiny spaces with hot plastic coops their only shelter. These animals suffer every day of their lives, never having lived as a calf cavorting and finding their legs under them, never eating grass their natural food. All this so we can have larger unhealthy veal.
I’d be more impressed by the demonstrators if they continued on up the road to one of these farms and then on to Montpelier to lobby for laws to prevent such cruelty to animals.
Bill and Lou never suffered like that.
PoultneyMORE IN FEATURES15
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.