Privately managed post office opensOctober 27,2012WEST HARTFORD — A Vermont town that lost its full-service post office when Tropical Storm Irene hit now has a privately managed one.
The Village Post Office in West Hartford is staffed by a contractor and provides scaled-back services. It operates in the West Hartford Village Store. Residents can buy a post office box. They also can drop off some mail and purchase postage stamps and flat rate shipping boxes. They will be able to pick up large packages at the store starting next month.
The U.S. Postal Service established the village post office concept in July 2011 and has since opened 58 nationwide.
Postal Service spokesman Tom Rizzo told the Valley News it's the first one to open in northern New England.MORE IN This Just InPOULTNEY — Sheila Nichols has been so busy for so long, she doesn’t know how to slow down. Full StoryFAIRLEE — The Thetford Energy Committee was honored Saturday at a statewide energy conference... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation