Harriett F. SeithOctober 27,2012
Harriett F. SeithHarriett F. Seith
POULTNEY ó Harriett F. Seith, 95, formerly residing with her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt., passed away peacefully on Wednesday, October 24, 2012, at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in North Granville, N.Y., following a long illness.
She was born on September 28, 1917, in Jamaica-Queens, N.Y., the daughter of the late Dennis and Mary (Haas) Harnett.
In April of 2002, Harriett and husband moved from Coram, N.Y., to Poultney, Vt., to be closer to her son and daughter.
Harriett was a member of St. Margaretís Roman Catholic Church on Long Island.
She and her husband John were united in Marriage on May 11, 1937, and were happily married for 69 years. They traveled extensively throughout Europe several times and enjoyed many cruises together. John passed away October 5, 2006.
Harriett was employed by the Long Island National Bank in Hicksville, N.Y., prior to her retirement. After her retirement, she volunteered for St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson for more than 10 years.
Among her many interests, she especially enjoyed spending time with her husband and family, reading, cooking and needlework.
Besides her parents and her husband John, she is predeceased by her son, Paul Seith who passed away in 1995; one brother, Robert Harnett; and two sisters, Rita Durcan and Cecelia Doyle.
Survivors include her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt.; two daughters, Kathy Kann and her husband Edwin of Hebron, N.Y., and Floral City, Florida, and Christine Hugick and her husband Larry of Princeton, N.J.; her daughter-in-law, Gail Seith of Smithtown, N.Y.; five grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated at a future date and time, to be announced in the spring. There will be no calling hours.
The family suggests that, in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent in her memory to the Young at Heart Senior Citizens Center, Furnace St., Poultney, VT 05764.
The family wishes to thank the staff of The Orchard Nursing Home for the excellent care they provided to Harriett over the years.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Michael G. Angiolillo Funeral Home, 210 Broadway, Whitehall, N.Y.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?