Harriett F. SeithOctober 27,2012
Harriett F. SeithHarriett F. Seith
POULTNEY ó Harriett F. Seith, 95, formerly residing with her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt., passed away peacefully on Wednesday, October 24, 2012, at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in North Granville, N.Y., following a long illness.
She was born on September 28, 1917, in Jamaica-Queens, N.Y., the daughter of the late Dennis and Mary (Haas) Harnett.
In April of 2002, Harriett and husband moved from Coram, N.Y., to Poultney, Vt., to be closer to her son and daughter.
Harriett was a member of St. Margaretís Roman Catholic Church on Long Island.
She and her husband John were united in Marriage on May 11, 1937, and were happily married for 69 years. They traveled extensively throughout Europe several times and enjoyed many cruises together. John passed away October 5, 2006.
Harriett was employed by the Long Island National Bank in Hicksville, N.Y., prior to her retirement. After her retirement, she volunteered for St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson for more than 10 years.
Among her many interests, she especially enjoyed spending time with her husband and family, reading, cooking and needlework.
Besides her parents and her husband John, she is predeceased by her son, Paul Seith who passed away in 1995; one brother, Robert Harnett; and two sisters, Rita Durcan and Cecelia Doyle.
Survivors include her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt.; two daughters, Kathy Kann and her husband Edwin of Hebron, N.Y., and Floral City, Florida, and Christine Hugick and her husband Larry of Princeton, N.J.; her daughter-in-law, Gail Seith of Smithtown, N.Y.; five grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated at a future date and time, to be announced in the spring. There will be no calling hours.
The family suggests that, in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent in her memory to the Young at Heart Senior Citizens Center, Furnace St., Poultney, VT 05764.
The family wishes to thank the staff of The Orchard Nursing Home for the excellent care they provided to Harriett over the years.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Michael G. Angiolillo Funeral Home, 210 Broadway, Whitehall, N.Y.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.