Harriett F. SeithOctober 27,2012
Harriett F. SeithHarriett F. Seith
POULTNEY ó Harriett F. Seith, 95, formerly residing with her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt., passed away peacefully on Wednesday, October 24, 2012, at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in North Granville, N.Y., following a long illness.
She was born on September 28, 1917, in Jamaica-Queens, N.Y., the daughter of the late Dennis and Mary (Haas) Harnett.
In April of 2002, Harriett and husband moved from Coram, N.Y., to Poultney, Vt., to be closer to her son and daughter.
Harriett was a member of St. Margaretís Roman Catholic Church on Long Island.
She and her husband John were united in Marriage on May 11, 1937, and were happily married for 69 years. They traveled extensively throughout Europe several times and enjoyed many cruises together. John passed away October 5, 2006.
Harriett was employed by the Long Island National Bank in Hicksville, N.Y., prior to her retirement. After her retirement, she volunteered for St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson for more than 10 years.
Among her many interests, she especially enjoyed spending time with her husband and family, reading, cooking and needlework.
Besides her parents and her husband John, she is predeceased by her son, Paul Seith who passed away in 1995; one brother, Robert Harnett; and two sisters, Rita Durcan and Cecelia Doyle.
Survivors include her son, Jack Seith of Poultney, Vt.; two daughters, Kathy Kann and her husband Edwin of Hebron, N.Y., and Floral City, Florida, and Christine Hugick and her husband Larry of Princeton, N.J.; her daughter-in-law, Gail Seith of Smithtown, N.Y.; five grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated at a future date and time, to be announced in the spring. There will be no calling hours.
The family suggests that, in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent in her memory to the Young at Heart Senior Citizens Center, Furnace St., Poultney, VT 05764.
The family wishes to thank the staff of The Orchard Nursing Home for the excellent care they provided to Harriett over the years.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Michael G. Angiolillo Funeral Home, 210 Broadway, Whitehall, N.Y.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.