Boat catches fire on Lake Champlain
The Associated Press | October 27,2012
COLCHESTER ó A man was rescued after his boat caught fire Friday on Lake Champlain.
Colchester police say the power boat caught fire near the entrance to Mallets Bay.
Police say the owner and operator of the boat, 46-year-old David Clow, was found floating in a partly deflated life raft about a quarter mile away.
He told police that he had been transporting the boat to a New York marina for winter storage when he smelled smoke and found flames and smoke near the generator and circuit board. He tried to extinguish the flames with fire extinguishers but was unsuccessful.
Boats from the Grand Isle County fire and sheriffís departments, the Mallets Bay Fire Department and U.S. Coast Guard responded to the scene.
The fire is being investigated.