Woman charged with smuggling guns to Canada via VtThe Associated Press | October 27,2012BURLINGTON — Federal prosecutors say a Florida woman is facing charges she smuggled firearms to Canada by transferring them to a Canadian co-conspirator in a library that straddles the border between Vermont and Quebec.
Prosecutors say 46-year-old Annette Wexler, of Gibsonton, Fla., was indicted Thursday by a grand jury in Burlington.
She’s charged with making false statements to firearms dealers in Florida, illegally exporting the guns to Canada and dealing firearms without a license.
Prosecutors say that between July 2010 and April 2011 Wexler bought guns from licensed dealers in Florida. She’s accused of transferring them to a Canadian co-conspirator at the Haskell Free Library, which sits on the border between Derby Line and Stanstead, Quebec.
Wexler’s lawyer did not return a call seeking comment.MORE IN Vermont NewsBARRE — Republican Scott Milne promised to steer the state away from Gov. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.