Man pleads guilty in Vt co-op shooting deathThe Associated Press | October 27,2012BRATTLEBORO — A man charged with killing his boss at the Brattleboro Food Co-op has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
Richard Gagnon entered the plea Friday in Vermont Superior Court.
A plea deal calls for a 17-year prison sentence.
Police say Gagnon took a gun to work on the morning of Aug. 9, 2011, and shot and killed Michael Martin while Martin sat at his desk.
Martin, who was born in Montpelier and grew up in Waterbury, was Gagnon’s superior, and Gagnon had received a critical work evaluation.
Gagnon previously had pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.
During the Friday court hearing, he took responsibility for killing Martin and said he was suffering at the time from depression.
The plea deal still needs a judge’s approval.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.