Man convicted of lewd and lascivious conduct with a childOctober 26,2012SHAFTSBURY — A Lawrence Road man was convicted by a jury of three felony counts of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child on Wednesday and now awaits sentencing on the counts, which carry minimum mandatory penalties of two years each and up to 15 years on each.
Charles “Hank” Madigan, 52, is currently being held in the Rutland jail on $50,000 bail.
Madigan was arraigned in February 2011 after police said they interviewed a girl, in October 2010, who said Madigan had touched her inappropriately at least three times between October 2007 and January 2009.
The girl would have been between 14- and 15-years-old during that time period.
The girl told police the incidents happened in Shaftsbury when she was staying with Madigan, to whom she is not related. According to an affidavit filed by police in the case, the girl said the contact with Madigan stopped after she put a lock on her door.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.