Do not vote Republican.
Let me stipulate that not all Republicans are greedy con men, and that not all Democrats are saints. But we citizens should remember some things when we go to the polls.
Remember that Republicans in the Bush administration got us into two wars while cutting taxes, thus blowing up the deficit. For some in the GOP, deficit spending is a deliberate strategy to allow them to argue that we can’t afford programs that (to quote the Constitution) “promote the general welfare.”
Remember that the financial shenanigans that brought on the Great Recession were largely the result of the loose regulations and the failure to regulate on the part of the Republicans in the Bush administration. Giving businesses a tax break when they shipped jobs overseas hasn’t helped.
Remember that the problems the Obama administration has had generating jobs and passing other needed legislation are a result of Republican obstruction. The Republicans have filibustered almost every Democratic bill in the Senate, so that 60 votes were needed, not just a majority, to pass anything.
Remember that during recent Republican administrations income has been redistributed upward. Gains in income have flowed to the already affluent while the income of the middle class has stagnated. Republican tax policy and anti-union efforts have caused this situation.
Remember that every other First World country has a health care system that is cheaper than ours and has better outcomes. Obamacare is a necessary start that may need adjustments, but not repeal.
Remember that the Republican candidates have expressed views that challenge women’s health, science in general, and even basic arithmetic.
StraffordMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.