Do not vote Republican.
Let me stipulate that not all Republicans are greedy con men, and that not all Democrats are saints. But we citizens should remember some things when we go to the polls.
Remember that Republicans in the Bush administration got us into two wars while cutting taxes, thus blowing up the deficit. For some in the GOP, deficit spending is a deliberate strategy to allow them to argue that we can’t afford programs that (to quote the Constitution) “promote the general welfare.”
Remember that the financial shenanigans that brought on the Great Recession were largely the result of the loose regulations and the failure to regulate on the part of the Republicans in the Bush administration. Giving businesses a tax break when they shipped jobs overseas hasn’t helped.
Remember that the problems the Obama administration has had generating jobs and passing other needed legislation are a result of Republican obstruction. The Republicans have filibustered almost every Democratic bill in the Senate, so that 60 votes were needed, not just a majority, to pass anything.
Remember that during recent Republican administrations income has been redistributed upward. Gains in income have flowed to the already affluent while the income of the middle class has stagnated. Republican tax policy and anti-union efforts have caused this situation.
Remember that every other First World country has a health care system that is cheaper than ours and has better outcomes. Obamacare is a necessary start that may need adjustments, but not repeal.
Remember that the Republican candidates have expressed views that challenge women’s health, science in general, and even basic arithmetic.
StraffordMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Archaelogists uncover artifacts proving that late neolithic Egyptians, pre-dating the Pyramids of Giza, practiced mummification to prepare their dead for the afterlife, far earlier than presupposed.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.