Do not vote Republican.
Let me stipulate that not all Republicans are greedy con men, and that not all Democrats are saints. But we citizens should remember some things when we go to the polls.
Remember that Republicans in the Bush administration got us into two wars while cutting taxes, thus blowing up the deficit. For some in the GOP, deficit spending is a deliberate strategy to allow them to argue that we can’t afford programs that (to quote the Constitution) “promote the general welfare.”
Remember that the financial shenanigans that brought on the Great Recession were largely the result of the loose regulations and the failure to regulate on the part of the Republicans in the Bush administration. Giving businesses a tax break when they shipped jobs overseas hasn’t helped.
Remember that the problems the Obama administration has had generating jobs and passing other needed legislation are a result of Republican obstruction. The Republicans have filibustered almost every Democratic bill in the Senate, so that 60 votes were needed, not just a majority, to pass anything.
Remember that during recent Republican administrations income has been redistributed upward. Gains in income have flowed to the already affluent while the income of the middle class has stagnated. Republican tax policy and anti-union efforts have caused this situation.
Remember that every other First World country has a health care system that is cheaper than ours and has better outcomes. Obamacare is a necessary start that may need adjustments, but not repeal.
Remember that the Republican candidates have expressed views that challenge women’s health, science in general, and even basic arithmetic.
StraffordMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.